We are an approved provider of Mountain Training‘s Rock Skills courses and these courses are the ideal platform to get in to the adventurous sport of rock climbing. This course offers you a number of opportunities over the course of the day to develop an understanding of what climbing entails. With the opportunity to try some top-roping, have an abseil and depending on the venue have a boulder as well. We are not just here to ensure a great introduction, but to help provide you with information to develop the passion and confidence to continue your new hobby.
- Background and Planning. An awareness of the types of places you can climb in the UK and Ireland, how to use guidebooks and mobile devices to find crags and routes, crag etiquette and the work of the mountaineering councils.
- Climbing Skills. Fundamental movement skills and climbing styles.
- Footwear and Equipment. Footwear and equipment selection and how to use the kit you choose.
- Technical Skills. Tying into a harness, belaying, spotting and how to abseil.
- Environmental Knowledge. The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations for climbers.
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures. Identifying hazards, managing risk, understanding common injuries, how to get help and the role of Mountain Rescue and associated emergency services.
By the end of the course you can expect to:
- Have covered the course content in a safe and enjoyable outdoor environment and classroom-style setting;
- Have climbed outside for a good proportion of the day on an appropriate crag;
- Be in a strong position to take a climbing wall belay test; and
- Be ready to attend a Rock Skills Intermediate course.
Climbing experience required:
- None, just a reasonable level of fitness to enjoy a full day of activity.
Mountain Training – Rock Skills Participant Handbook
“Had a great introduction to climbing at Brimham Rocks today. Really enjoyed it despite pulling some nervous faces when I was half way up. Felt well looked after and was brilliant value for money. Thanks for sorting the nice weather out too – top day.” – Jonny Winder – Intro to Rock Climbing