We are an approved provider of Mountain Training‘s Hill Skills course which is your key to getting started in countryside and moorland walking. No previous hill walking experience is required because the content of the course is aimed at beginners. Even i
f you do have some experience of hill walking, but feel you lack the confidence to plan walks, navigate effectively and understand the equipment required, then a Hill Skills course is an ideal way to learn.
This 2-day course will introduce to the below, but also many other interesting aspects enjoyed by hill walkers. Walks that are chosen each day will not only be to develop the skills to travel the hills safely, but also highlight environmental, historical, geological and other interests that surround us. The Yorkshire Dales are widely studied and explored and regularly show up in TV productions due to it’s beautiful scenery.
We cover a whole range of skills that will be beneficial to you as a hill walker:
- Route Planning – using a range of maps
- Walking skills – using pace, nutrition, movement skills and use of poles
- Clothing and equipment – appropriate clothing and layers, footwear and additional items to have in the bag
- Weather – how this affects your planning, route and your equipment choices
- Navigation – maps, compasses and when and how to use them
- Environment – maintaining a low impact whilst adventuring
- Emergencies and hazards – avoidance, but also how to deal with these unfortunate occurrences
No hill walking experience required. A reasonable level of fitness will help you to get the most from the day.
“Myself and my son did the course with John. We learned a lot about map reading and planning routes including using a compass. The days were challenging but fun and we both felt a strong sense of achievement after the 2 days – would highly recommend to anyone.” – Jon Mountain
“An excellent course which has boosted my confidence in map reading and my ability to plan walks in the hills. Would definitely recommend!” – Philippa Cassidy
Hill & Mountain Skills Scheme Handbook