Our home educator sessions are run in the beautiful setting of Broughton Hall Estate’s woodlands, with sessions suitable for children from ages 5-11.
Every week we will spend the time together in the woodlands learning about bushcraft, tool use, science, nature and geography. Our sessions are fun and relaxed, and share many of the principles of forest school, but are a little more structured than some others you may previously have attended.
Your child can either be booked on every week, every other week, or as and when desired. The regularity can suit you and your budget, 3 or more sessions booked attracts a 10% discount, these can be 3 sessions booked whenever you want.
What will my child gain from it?
- A fun session in the fresh air
- An appreciation of our natural world
- Contextual learning
- Problem solving
- Measured risk taking – building confidence, resilience and self regulation
- Independent learning guided by experienced outdoor instructors and trained teachers
How will the sessions be structured?
- There will be two groups dependent on age and learning style
- A new skill every other week around which our activities are based
- A mix of child-initiated and adult-led sessions
- Sessions will include tool use, bushcraft knowledge and skills, nature crafts, physical challenges plus much more!
- Parents can leave their children and relax in the café at Utopia, Broughton Hall (Currently closed due to COVID-19) or visit Skipton nearby
- We will be following the WILD Passport syllabus with each child, and therefore allowing them to understand their achievements with recognised milestones and certificates. The passport is included in the price.
- Depending on the age and the engagement of the children, we may split the group and develop those less engaged in the programme through play, until they are ready to start their learning with the WILD Passport programme.
- Replacement passports are £7 each if lost, and can be bought below. They will be available to collect on your next session.
What do we need to bring?
- Appropriate outdoor clothing – we ask you to bring waterproofs, and muddy boots in all weathers, as we often use water play in our sessions. In hot weather please bring sun cream and hats. The woodlands have plenty of plants which may sting or scratch – please consider this when dressing your child for the day.
- Hand sanitiser – to minimise the spread of Covid-19 we ask that you bring hand sanitiser to use before and after the session.