We are an approved provider of Mountain Training‘s Mountain Skills courses and these courses are the ideal platform to get in to mountain walking activities. No previous mountain walking experience is required because the content of the course is aimed at hill walkers wanting to take the step up to build confidence in different, steeper terrain. Even i
f you do have some experience of mountain walking, but feel you lack the confidence to plan journeys, navigate effectively and understand the equipment required, then a Mountain Skills course is an ideal way to learn.
This 2-day course will introduce to the below, but also many other interesting aspects enjoyed by mountain walkers. Walks that are chosen each day will not only be to develop the skills to travel the mountains safely, but also highlight environmental, historical, geological and other interests that surround us. The Lake District is wonderful location to explore for years, whether this is the coppermines, classic mountain scrambles, ridge walks, Roman roads and more.
We cover a whole range of skills that will be beneficial to you as a mountain walker:
- Route Planning – selecting appropriate maps
- Walking skills – developing technique walking over steep terrain, use of poles in ascent and descent
- Clothing and equipment – discussing items that differ to what you might have in you hill bag
- Weather – how this affects your planning, route and your equipment choices
- Navigation – maps, compasses and when and how to use them
- Environment – maintaining a low impact whilst adventuring, recognising flora and fauna
- Emergencies and hazards – avoidance, but also how to deal with these unfortunate occurrences
Summer hill walking experience is essential. A reasonable level of fitness will help you to get the most from the day.
Hill & Mountain Skills Scheme Handbook